No announcement yet.

Changing your last name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll probably take his. I do really like my middle name though. His is super common and easy to spell and everything, whereas mine is less common and it was really funny hearing all the different ways people tried to pronounce it and spell it all my life. So even though mine is more fun, I'd probably still take his. For the reasons other people have listed, feeling like a family mostly.
    "You let me in your heart and out of my head."

Comment

I would definitely take his name. Although his name is the most common name in Mexico and my name is very very special in Germany (I guess there are maybe like 10 or 20 people who have the same lastname as me) I would rather take his. First reason is that I really like his lastname and think it would sound nice. Second reason is, that my lastname comes from my father and even if it may sound hard, but I really don't wanna be reminded of him anymore. He wasn't a good father at all and my parents now already are divorced for a couple of years. So i would definitely like to take his name if we marry someday And also it would finally stop that I have to spell my lastname everytime someone hears it and then writes it wrong anyway.

Comment

I would take his last name even though I do really like my maiden name. I think it sounds nice either way, but it wouldn't fit, if we hyphenated it. Thankfully, there are enough boys in the family to pass on our last name.

Comment

Side note: legally changing your name is a huge pain in the ass. Worth it, but a huge pain in the ass. At least it is in the States....

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
          Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
          Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
            Side note: legally changing your name is a huge pain in the ass. Worth it, but a huge pain in the ass. At least it is in the States....
            One of the big reasons I decided against it. I'm so fed up with bureaucratic red tape bullshit that I would rather pour lemon juice in my eyes than try to do the paperwork to change my name.

Comment

I'm almost seventeen, so marriage is a little ways off for me, but I think I'd take my husband's name. I'm rather fond of my maiden name, but the concept of taking on your partner's name intriques me. That, and I just love marital traditions like that; it really feels like you're one unit, rather than two totally separate people.

Just my thoughts on the subject. I suppose it all boils down to "whatever floats your boat," ahaha.

Comment

We both kept our names when we got married. We can change it later on, if we decide that we went to have the same last name after all.
                As long as we don't have kids, I don't really see a reason to. I know that we're married and so do the people who need to know.

Once we have kids I think I would like us to have the same last name, but I'm not willing to take his

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

I'll be taking my SO's last name when we marry. We'll be living in Sweden so taking his last name would make more sense to me. Plus, I like the tradition of it.
                  sigpic

To read our love story, click here.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                    One of the big reasons I decided against it. I'm so fed up with bureaucratic red tape bullshit that I would rather pour lemon juice in my eyes than try to do the paperwork to change my name.
                    hahaha hilarious!!

I would use hislastname/mylastname just because I know it's very important for him

Comment

I think I would hyphenate-for professional purposes and just to have the best of both worlds

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                        After all the visa crap you've had to go through, I wouldn't want to either. Here's hoping we get the stupid paper this weekend so I can actually get my name changed. Hmmph.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                        Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                        Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Once I get to that point I'd probably take his name, but I'd like to keep my maiden name as another first name
                          We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

We ended up having this conversation tonight. He says that it is up to me to make that decision. My last name isn't that common and my family doesn't have any boys, so I thought I'd want to keep it. When my sister got married, she decided to hyphenate it. I'm not sure what I will end up doing when the time comes.

Comment

I never took my husbands last name. But used it for school and things with the kids. I would like to take my SO's last name (although he doesn't care if I do...his ex wife actually kept HER FIRST HUSBANDS last name, and she hyphenated it with his). I will probably still use my ex husbands last name with anything pertaining to my children, use my SO's name socially, and keep my maiden name. My ex husbands last name is Harvie, my last name is Henry, and my SOs last name is Ciccone. None of those hyphen well..... Lol. FYI, I never took my husbands last name legally because it is not the common spelling and always had to be corrected. Nobody can properly pronounce or spell my SOs last name. Mine is the easiest!!
                              sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Originally posted by TaraMarie View Post
                                I never took my husbands last name. But used it for school and things with the kids. I would like to take my SO's last name (although he doesn't care if I do...his ex wife actually kept HER FIRST HUSBANDS last name, and she hyphenated it with his). I will probably still use my ex husbands last name with anything pertaining to my children, use my SO's name socially, and keep my maiden name. My ex husbands last name is Harvie, my last name is Henry, and my SOs last name is Ciccone. None of those hyphen well..... Lol. FYI, I never took my husbands last name legally because it is not the common spelling and always had to be corrected. Nobody can properly pronounce or spell my SOs last name. Mine is the easiest!!
                                I guess your SO grew up in one of the non-Italian parts of Long Island?

Comment

Working...
                                X