No announcement yet.

Changing your last name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<<<<<<< My SO and I want to both hyphenate our last names. It will look something like that :P. We both enjoy our surnames and we're both close to our families, so neither of us want to lose our last names. I think it's a good compromise .

When/if we have kids, we'll pass only one surname on to them. Just a matter of picking which one. We'll probably choose the surname of whichever side of the family we end up (not physically) closest to.

Comment

I plan on taking Dylan's last name and being Katelyn MiddleName HisLastName. My maiden name would be dropped. That being said, my last name is VERY common here in the US and while I LOVE it, I don't mind not writing it again. My family crest is also awesome, so I was thinking of getting that tattooed on my shoulder so it's always with me... (Dylan has a few tattoos and has agreed to go with me, hold my hand and tell me he loves me while I'm getting it done though ) Also, if I REALLY get to missing my old name, I just have to drop one letter and it's a perfectly recognizable boy's name... suitable for a future son

I just like the unity that being one name with my children and husband brings.
      Last edited by Katelyn313; April 25, 2012, 10:21 PM. Reason: Typo, grr.
      My motor runs a lover's heartbeat
      It's just me and you
      Put the pedal to the metal
      Baby, turn the radio on
      We can run to the far side of nowhere
      We can run 'til the days are gone

Comment

I'm traditional, so I definitely want to take my SO's last name. & I'll still have the same initials....
        sigpic
        Not to get clever
        but with you I see forever
        But whatever it is,
        Here's to you,
        I Love You Kid...

Comment

When I was younger, I always thought I'd keep my given name, because if I'd give it up, my family's name would die out and I didn't want that. Since then, it's changed. I've got a little brother and I've figured I'd either take my hubby's name or not depending on where we live. If it's in his country it'd make more sense to take his then keep my name. As for hyphenates, no thank you! I've had long names up to now and I don't want to make it any longer!

I wanted to say, that the hispanics way is kind of neat, though!

Comment

I plan on taking my SO's name. I also like the idea of it symbolizing our commitment to each other and I like the idea of being called "Mr. and Mrs... his-last-name." Also as an added bonus his last name has the same first initial as my first name so I'll have the initials HH. I also really like his last name a lot. I also like my last name now but I think it'll lower any confusion and then our kids can just have one and it'll be the same as ours.

Comment

I'm taking his last name. I have no real connection to my maiden name (I wasn't raised by my biological father), and my SO wants me to (though I had always wanted to, I like the fact it solidifies that we're a family unit). My maiden name would be dropped, so I'd just be Erika MiddleName HisLastName.
              ♥ Erika & Thomas ♥
              ♥ Est. January 13, 2011 ♥ Became LDR July 1, 2011 ♥ Christmas visit December 24 - 29, 2011 ♥ Closed the distance June 2, 2012 ♥

♪ Cause with you I'd withstand all of it to hold your hand ♫

Comment

Oh for sure I'm taking his last name. xD I love the feeling of being a family and all that jazz. The way I see it, he stole my heart, so I steal his last name. :P

Comment

In latin america you don't change your name when you get married so I didn't want to change my name but my fiancee wanted us to share a last name, so we decided we'll both change our name so my last name will be our middle name and his last name will be our last name. Pretty good idea, everyone happy!! Well no because when we told our mums they were totally against it, we had a huge 3 days argument with them, my Mum doesn't want me to change my name and my mother-in-law doesn't want him to change his name but she wants me to change mine, so for the sake of the families we decided that we wont change our names that way the family is happy (kind of), I´m happy (I didn't want to change my name in the fist place) but my fiancée is not happy because we won't share a last name .

Comment

I'm not gonna get my last name changed or hyphenated, it's just tradition that the wife changes her name. That's why on legal documents they'll ask for your mother's maiden name, not your father's

Comment

Originally posted by Yaaamiii View Post
                      Oh for sure I'm taking his last name. xD I love the feeling of being a family and all that jazz. The way I see it, he stole my heart, so I steal his last name. :P
                      Great way to put it, Yaaamiii! I feel the same way about it! I can't wait to share his last name!

Comment

I'm so excited to take his last name when we get married! My current last name is very common where I'm from. Seems like everyone around here has it. LOL We are from different cultures in a way, so I'm excited to embrace it! We're not engaged yet, but it's coming in the future!

Comment

I will most likely change my name, since Stephen is the only male to carry on the family name - I have two brothers to carry on my last name so that's okay :P
                          I was thinking of having both names but a French-Polish name sounds kinda weird living in America..

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                          First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                          Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                          Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                          Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                          Married: 1/24/2015
                          Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

^ How is him being the only male to bear that name relevant to your decision of changing your own? When people consider that matter, they're usually thinking that the man would want to perpetuate his family name by having children. If you kept your maiden name it wouldn't have any bearing to how your children are named unless you specifically wanted them to have yours. Just curious.
                            I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I love my last name it is my identity before my marriage and I would much prefer to join our names by putting a dash between our name. He would prefer if I drop mine and keep his but it is an ongoing discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
                                ^ How is him being the only male to bear that name relevant to your decision of changing your own? When people consider that matter, they're usually thinking that the man would want to perpetuate his family name by having children. If you kept your maiden name it wouldn't have any bearing to how your children are named unless you specifically wanted them to have yours. Just curious.
                                I wouldn't want to have a different last name than my husband, simply because it gets confusing :P

My sister's ex husband's family had 3 different last names in their family (her ex husband had a different last name than his 2 siblings), because his mom once decided to change her last name, then got divorced and changed it back, then got married again, but kept her last name, got divorced again and after marrying a third time changed her last name again.
                                Very, very confusing :P

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                                First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                                Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                                Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                                Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                                Married: 1/24/2015
                                Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Working...
                                X