Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Changing your last name
Collapse
X
-
Despite being very non-traditional about marriage and dating, I think I would take my SO's last name. I like my last name but both my first and last are very unique and hard to say. I wouldn't mind having one name that was somewhat easy to say. My SO has also suggested we both take my last name. That would cool too so I don't know.
-
Guest repliedI will most definitely be taking his last name! I love the unity it will give us as a family.
Oh and he is 50% Ecuadorian from his dad's side and I am so German its not even funny. I find it hilarious that I will have a hispanic last name and I am the whitest they get. Haha!
Leave a comment:
-
While I have no desires or dreams of getting married right now, I would likely hyphenate it. I like my last name, and if my SO and I ever got hitched... Goood lord, he has a complicated frenchy name. Something to do with having royal blood and showing it's a royal type name.
Leave a comment:
-
I kept my name when I married my first husband. He fought me about it for the 14 years we were together.
This time, I intended to take my husbands name, but I got pregnant shortly after the wedding and got too sick to do it. I use it socially.
Frankly my maiden name means nothing to me. My paternal side is either dead or has disowned me. Taking my mothers name has no appeal as I have zero relationship with any of them, and they always wanted to keep it that way.
My son has my husbands name. It would be easy for me to change it now - but I can't bring myself to give enough of a damn to do it. I'm not part of his family. I don't even believe in family.
Leave a comment:
-
I want to take his last name as my middle name. Here's my long-winded reasoning:
My first and last name are Tamil and pretty long (20 letters together). His first name and last name (Spanish) are 4 letters each. I feel like my name would be a little lopsided and awkward if I took his last name. I'm also fairly attached to my last name, as by cultural tradition, my last name is my father's first name. He passed away suddenly when I was 13 and he was a huge part of my life. I would love to add my SOs name somehow though, for a sense of closeness. Hyphenating my last name would make it crazy long, sooo I think I'll want his last name as my middle name. It has a nice ring to it when I say it all together
Leave a comment:
-
I went from "W" to "D", myself!Originally posted by michy View PostI was a bit traumatized in early school years as my school had this habit of doing everything by last-name alphabetical order... the "a"s get to go to recess, then the "b"s, etc. I was W, and I hated it! My 5-year-old self eyed the As, Bs, and Cs with envy and SWORE I'd be one of them someday, lol!
But I liked my given last name. Simple, short. And when I married the first time, I kept my given name on all my IDs and everything (mostly because I was proud of it, I'm the last generation to have it... and also partly because my then-husband shared his last name with a disease!).
I married my SO in February, and surprised myself by really wanting to share a name with that man! I changed it right away, and it feels great.
Also, it's a "C"... so I finally made it to the front of the class, yessss! Lol.
Leave a comment:
-
I'm a teacher and a fellow "W". I always do everything in reverse alphabetical order. Take that you Applegates and Browns!!!Originally posted by michy View PostI was a bit traumatized in early school years as my school had this habit of doing everything by last-name alphabetical order... the "a"s get to go to recess, then the "b"s, etc. I was W, and I hated it! My 5-year-old self eyed the As, Bs, and Cs with envy and SWORE I'd be one of them someday, lol!
Leave a comment:
-
I am going to take his last name
Just because its a nice thing to do and it then makes me feel like your more of a family than if you have two different last names
Leave a comment:
-
When i get married i'm going to hyphenate my last name. I hate it say it, but it's always easier if you happen to get divorced just remove the hyphenated name.
Leave a comment:
-
I would definitely take my SO's last name. I've never really thought about it, though. It was just one of those things that I always knew I would do when/if I got married. My sister kept our last name when she got married so she can pass it down if she wants. As for me, I want my SO's last name. I want to be part of his family.
Leave a comment:
-
Although marriage is no where in the near future I have thought about it and i dont think i want to change my last name even though my initials would be the same... his last name is Smith, the most common name there is lol and i like my unique last name... So probably i wont take it although i could hyphenate
Leave a comment:
-
I was a bit traumatized in early school years as my school had this habit of doing everything by last-name alphabetical order... the "a"s get to go to recess, then the "b"s, etc. I was W, and I hated it! My 5-year-old self eyed the As, Bs, and Cs with envy and SWORE I'd be one of them someday, lol!
But I liked my given last name. Simple, short. And when I married the first time, I kept my given name on all my IDs and everything (mostly because I was proud of it, I'm the last generation to have it... and also partly because my then-husband shared his last name with a disease!).
I married my SO in February, and surprised myself by really wanting to share a name with that man! I changed it right away, and it feels great.
Also, it's a "C"... so I finally made it to the front of the class, yessss! Lol.
Leave a comment:
-
I was always adamant that I would not take any husband's last name. When I was 22, I was engaged to a guy whose last name was Orndorff. And we got into huge fights over my not wanting to change my name to that
My SO doesn't really have a preference but if I changed my name, I will still have the same initials. I don't know - I feel like I've been this name for 33 years - might be hard to be some one else!
Leave a comment:
-
I'm definitely doing the traditional first name, maiden name, his last name when I get married. My initials are MOM that way and I think it's cute. And I'm a very traditional person anyway. If I completely drop my last name and keep my current middle name I'll be MMM.
Leave a comment:
-
Good topic!
My husband is from Iran. In Persian culture, women keep their name. My husband said it was up to me, but he'd prefer I kept my own name. My parents also really want me to keep my last name (my mom kept hers when she married my dad). I prefer my husband's last name, but it wasn't a big deal so I chose what everyone else wanted: I kept my name.
I dislike hyphenated names and I already have my mom's last name as my middle name... so I didn't want to be Élan Lastname Lastname-Lastname. Talk about excessive and impossible to Google.
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: