Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing your last name

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • roosie
    replied
    I think I would either add his to mine or just take his. My last name is not very beautiful and actually partly consists of a Finnish male name but I wouldn't like to give it up completely because somehow I feel like by losing it I would lose part of my Finnish identity. I do like my SO's last name very much as it's an old Irish name.

    Leave a comment:


  • floridaellen
    replied
    My last name is really cool and has a deep religious meaning. I love it. That being said, I would probably take my husband's name. It's traditional and my family would think I was weird if I didn't. Plus, I like the concept of being his.

    Leave a comment:


  • JessicaT
    replied
    I would change it because right now my last name is Tester and you can make up so many things from that name. It helps a little, but not much when my SO's last name is Schaut ("shout") xD I don't think i'll ever win the last name battle in my life.

    Leave a comment:


  • army.boys.girl_x
    replied
    mine and his surnames aren't that much different, but i can't wait to take his, it would mean more to take his when we get married, make us a family. He, his mum, brother and sister all have different last names, it just doesn't seem right to me. (and tbh i can't wait to get rid of mine, no more wrong spellings or mispronunciations to correct!) x

    Leave a comment:


  • Sav88
    replied
    Hell yes! I would change my last name as it's so boring and common and my SO's is so different and I like the sound of it. It doesn't flow when you say my name and his last together but after a while I'd get used to saying it and so will everyone else. I just want his last name so bad! :P

    Leave a comment:


  • Enric
    replied
    I guess this is just typical among the anglo cultures. Our naming costumes are quite different and I really prefer our traditional system (less sexist in my opinion).

    I want to repair my last names (we have 2 in all documents) for being typed in the right orthography. But never change them. I neither want that my SO changes her last name, it's beautiful and it's a way of remember her identity. But she has a single last name and I wonder what will be her second last name if she comes to my country. Maybe something of her mother? A new one?

    Leave a comment:


  • Haley53
    replied
    I plan on hyphenating, simply for the practical purpose that I will likely have already established contacts and ideally a career by the time that we're married.

    Leave a comment:


  • Micah
    replied
    I want to take his last name. I guess I am just not that attached to my last name and I am pretty traditional when it comes to marriage.

    Leave a comment:


  • DemonxOisin
    replied
    I think I will stick to Mexican tradition on this one... Seeing as I have always been told I would end up marrying a Mexican :P
    On official documents and such, you keep your last name. So itīs not complicated, no one has to get used to calling you by a different name. But, sometimes women sign with their husbands name, like this: First name - de - Husbands last name. His mom does that, and I think itīs quite nice Although it would be quite funny to be the whitest of white girls with a Mexican last name xD
    Children-wise, they take both names. No hyphen, just... 2 last names. And the children can use either both or one, itīs up to them.
    Itīs a good system :P

    ---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

    I think I will stick to Mexican tradition on this one... Seeing as I have always been told I would end up marrying a Mexican :P
    On official documents and such, you keep your last name. So itīs not complicated, no one has to get used to calling you by a different name. But, sometimes women sign with their husbands name, like this: First name - de - Husbands last name. His mom does that, and I think itīs quite nice Although it would be quite funny to be the whitest of white girls with a Mexican last name xD
    Children-wise, they take both names. No hyphen, just... 2 last names. And the children can use either both or one, itīs up to them.
    Itīs a good system :P

    Leave a comment:


  • sweetshine
    replied
    I will definitely take my fiances last name.

    Leave a comment:


  • kteire
    replied
    I always said that when I got married, I'd marry someone with a simpler last name than mine... Well, my SO's is longer and definitely not simpler!!
    I'm a bit undecided about whether or not I will. I love my SO's last name, it's French and sounds gorgeous, but I am attached to mine. My last name will die out in my family with my generation, as in my dad's generation, all of the male relations only had daughters, and all of the females had taken their spouse's last name. There are currently 6 of us (all female) who intend to have kids and don't intend to use our own last name.
    Plus, my family name has an interesting history. I had relatives killed at Dachau, and certain family members worked as spies in WWII, and I keep finding out more about them! So who knows haha. I dunno how my SO would feel about me keeping my own name, and hyphenating is out of the question!

    Leave a comment:


  • blferguson1s
    replied
    I'm so excited to take my SO's last name. We already think of each other as family, and I want everyone to know that I'm his. It's a tradition that I'm proud to uphold.

    Leave a comment:


  • lonelyinlove
    replied
    I would definitely would take my future husband's last name. Like the other have said, when i have children I would like all of us to have the same last name. Especially for school things

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    I will nothing against my last name but I like my SO's plus it starts with A which is awesome

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    I wouldnt! No one in our family changed last names either when they got married, so I too am not familiar with the concept. Plus, if we're talking about my current SO's last name, its so much further down in the alphabet. D:

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X