Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing your last name

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • kireinamida
    replied
    I will take his last name. I've always wanted to.
    At first, I didn't think it sounded good with my name, but I love it now.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dziubka
    replied
    We're actually not so sure about this one yet.
    On the one hand I would like us and our children to have the same last name. It feels more family to me, even though it's probably silly.

    But the thing is my last name is very pretty, relatively short, wonderfully Scandinavian and easy to pronounce and write in almost any language. Oh and it has a cute meaning, but in our languages it means nothing and doesn't have any weird connotations.
    It also fits so well with my two first names and would even go well with his first name. And it's rare. Everyone who has the name is really from our family.

    My boyfriend has a very typical Polish last name. Typical as in 10+ letters and not pronounceable or writeable anywhere outside of Poland. Think Skrzypczynski and you're quite close. It's also rather common.

    Unfortunately my boyfriend isn't so keen on taking my last name. I might 'buy' him by letting him decide the first name of our first son, though. I have yet to decide which is the bigger sacrifice.

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    I'm definitely going to take his last name if we get married. He leaves it up to me whether to take it or not, because in Iranian culture married women are not required to do that. However, it's very important for me because it's in my culture to take the husband's name, but for sure I'm going to keep my father's name because it'd be very useful in the future.
    That being said, my full name will consist of 5 words because of my first name, middle name, 2-word family name, plus his family name!

    Leave a comment:


  • Kerry
    replied
    I don't have any plans on taking my bf's last name when we get married. maybe I'll hyphenate. he's actually mentioned that he wouldn't mind taking my last name!

    Leave a comment:


  • Sora1101
    replied
    I'm definitely taking my SO's last name, it's always been a big deal to me, just like others have said it's a family tie and my family growing up was really awful so it's like a fresh start at having my own family and I feel as though it'll make me closer to my SO, not that I need it, but it'll just be one of those bonds that are formed along the way.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mara
    replied
    Well, my last name is my father's last name [who I have no attachment to or relationship with] and I've always intended on changing it to my mother's last name therefore having that connection with my family so I'm sort of undecided on changing my name when married. If I marry my current SO, it's really important to him that I take his name and our children have his name as he's the last of his family line and if our children don't carry on the name no one will. I suppose I could still change it to my mother's last name and then marry and be first name middle name mothers last name his last name, but it seems like such a hassle.

    Leave a comment:


  • ioanna
    replied
    great topic Snow Girl!

    both my SO and I have difficult last names, hard to spell everywhere we go.. at the begining of our relationship, we thought about both changing our last name to a new one, that would be Our last name. it would be the meaning of his current last name in the language of my current last name it has a nice ring to it, melodious, and short haha. both our last names are loooong (9 characters for me, 11 for him )

    if we don't end up doing this, i'd love to take is name. but i will keep mine for my proffessional work. here in lebanon when a woman marries, on her ID her full maiden name is kept and then "married" and hubby's last name.
    Last edited by ioanna; September 6, 2011, 03:04 PM. Reason: million apologies snow girl for crediting someone else with the topic!

    Leave a comment:


  • kiara_silver
    replied
    I would take his last name for sure. I've always felt that, that was part of getting married, when you marry you take his name and are telling the world you choose him and are now one. Lol although i do like my last name, Its actually in a movie or two lol but I would happily trade it in for my SO's.

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    My current last name is my ex-husbands. I kept it because I share it with my son and have no attachment to my maiden name. If we were to marry, I think I'd take his name, as it would be odd to keep my ex-husband's. Plus my first name would go well with his last name.

    Leave a comment:


  • lucybelle
    replied
    Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
    I had to go to facebook to see his last name after reading this comment
    I wanna be in the know!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Engel
    replied
    Originally posted by WakeUpSusie View Post
    I would definitely take his last name, but would make my current last name my middle name because I love it! So I would go by First Name/Current Last Name/Future Hubby's Last name

    I like his last name and I think it's a nice gesture to take it when getting married. But I love and am proud of my last name so I don't want to completely eliminate that from my legal name either.
    exactlly what im going to do when i get married next year!

    ---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

    Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
    Nope. I would never change my last name. Which is great because my SO is Hispanic and in the Hispanic culture women don't change their lasts names. In fact it would be weird if I did. The children get both lasts names. That's why Hispanics have crazy long names. So if we got married our children would be First name/Middle name/Father's Last name/Mother's last name. Which I sort of feel sorry for cuz my last name is freaking long.

    example: Maria Jose Aguilera Gonzalez marries Juan Carlos Arias Piedra. The children's last names are: Arias Aguilera. Most usually just use the first of the 2 last names, but on legal documents it will always have the 2.
    im brazilian so i feel ya.

    and i will take away my middle name that was my mothers maiden name and my last name (from my father) will go to the middle, and my husband to be last name will be my last as well.
    and the day we have kids i also want them to have my maiden name as their middle name

    Leave a comment:


  • loveknowsnodistance27
    replied
    I would definitely take his last name. My current last name is so often misspelled, that it frustrates me. But, my name now flows so nicely together. My boyfriend's last name is Italian and mine is German...I'm also Italian so it'd be nice to have an Italian last name. People spell his name wrong too, but not as often as mine. My first name doesn't sound as good with his last name as it does with mine, but over time I'm sure it'd sound fine. I love his last name, and I would love to take it as my own.

    Leave a comment:


  • nicole
    replied
    I am taking my SO's last name, because it does reinforce that we're Family now Plus I found out his last name means "eccentric", which fits me very well indeed

    Leave a comment:


  • mllebamako
    replied
    Originally posted by Zephii View Post
    Early on in our relationship people would hear his last name, laugh and be like "Don't marry him!" (jokingly)
    But I love him so much now that I'd be proud to have his last name... though I'm glad it's not sprinkle >.>
    I had to go to facebook to see his last name after reading this comment

    Leave a comment:


  • leonsfangirl
    replied
    I honestly don't know as i have children with my Ex-husband and they have there fathers last name so if i changed mine to my SO's, it would be different. Having a different last name from my children isn't something i want to do. If i have both it doesn't sound right either and although he hasn't said anything i think my SO would want me to take his last name.
    UUUUUUUUUUUURGH!! i have NO idea what i'm going to do.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X