Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Changing your last name
Collapse
X
-
i would like to keep my last name even after marriage but my SO had mention that he would want his future wife to take on his last name. So if we do get to that stage in the future i will hyphenate, unless he strongly argues that i HAVE to change then i will do it..
-
Whether I end up with this guy or someone else, I will likely take his last name. It's just tradition, and something I always thought I would do anyway. I don't have any particular attachment to my current last name. lol
Leave a comment:
-
I know that either I or my SO will take the other's last name. Right now, I think she's going to take my name, mainly because she doesn't like her name for various reasons. It doesn't matter much to me either way; I just want us to share a name.
Leave a comment:
-
I'm trying to convince him to take my name :P
I would not mind taking his name; we both have unique last names. But if he took my name, he'd have two Xs in his name! I only have sisters, so I'm afraid my name will die out after this generation.
Leave a comment:
-
Guest repliedI would definitely change my last name to his and I've already told him that. I told him I want to share his last name and he's cool with it.
I have several different reasons. One is just that...I've always wanted to. I know that a lot of girls think it's sort of sacrificing independence or something but... I just think it's fine. I have an aunt who didn't change her name after marriage so I've seen that side of things, too, but they didn't have any kids. I want my kids to have the same last name as myself and my future husband. So changing my name to his is an easy choice for me because I've never actually been way too attached to my last name. I like it, but it'll still be part of my name, just become a middle name instead. That's how my mom did it, and I think that's how most women do. Besides, I like his last name and I have two older brothers so they can provide heirs to the family name. I'm good with changing mine.
Leave a comment:
-
I took my husband's given name. Yeah, GIVEN name!
There are several ways of naming a married girl in India. One of the ways is like this: given name + husband’s given name + caste. There is no provision for a maiden name. But of course this is entirely for Indian nationals. My personal records would still bear my maiden name together with my husband's first name and the caste which he belongs to. So my complete married name is given name+maiden name+husband's given name+caste. It's very long. So for informal gatherings, casual meetings and web presence, I am using my nickname+caste. Short and simple!
Leave a comment:
-
I know one of us is going to take the other's name. My last name is very common, but my girlfriend's last name gets mispronounced a lot. I'd really like to take her name, and she wants to take mine. We'll get it figured out though. We mainly just want to share a last name.
Leave a comment:
-
I can't wait for the day when I'll have his last name. Just the idea of it happening makes me feel proud inside. I would never hyphenate. Both of our last names are ten letters long :P
Leave a comment:
-
We've discussed this, haha! I'm very proud of my last name, and I kind of want to keep it. But I also want his last name, because I really like it and he's very proud of it too. If I don't, it'll sound like I'm not the mother of our kids or something, in the future. I don't want that! So for now, I think that I'll just go with my last name - his last name.
Leave a comment:
-
i will def change my last name when i get married...im excited to bear my SO's last name...and i'm so proud to bear his last name....
Leave a comment:
-
It was a tough descision. I have always LOVED my last name. It was so unique and different and sounded so pretty. It definitely showed the Italian heratige I proudly claim
and for 23 years I had certainly put that name on the map with my achievements.
His is a Masculine German name. I know how he felt about it so when we were filling out our marriage application, I decided to take his last name. It made him so happy and so it was worth it. I am still adjusting but it gives the feel of the united front (even though he's gone).
Leave a comment:
-
He says he wants to hyphenate... but I do want to take his last name. It's Finnish and exotic
He complains about it being misspelled all the time, but to be fair name is an unusually long Spanish name, and in Spain we have two last names (as women do keep their names) so it's even worse, and I can't wait to have a short single-word surname, I'm already used to the misspelling!
Leave a comment:
-
Guest repliedI'll be taking his last name. I don't like hyphenated names that much, and it would just sound stupid, my last name and his
Our family name isn't gonna die or anything because of me, so I'm not worried about that bit 
My name sounds good with his last name, I think, and I'd love the "unity" it gives, as someone said earlier in this thread. It'd feel weird not having his last name. And it'll sound "exotic" too, a Finn having an English last name
I'm pretty excited about that, whenever the time comes
Leave a comment:
-
My last name situation is fairly unique. My mom kept her last name when she married my dad and they agreed to give me her last name instead of his. I'm definitely planning on keeping my last name, even if it gets misspelled and mispronounced all the time. It's very uniquely Irish and goes well with my first name. In the case of both my father's last name and my SO's (both very English), my name sounds like I should be at least 80 years old or writing advice columns.
Leave a comment:
-
I have always said I would hyphenate it at most. I really don't think that I am property and don't want to feel like i am changing hands as it were. I would feel like i was going from my fathers property to my husbands and that doesn't seem like something I would do. However, with that being said, if I was to have kids I would really consider changing my last name because it is easier for the kids and there are less questions. Just personal beliefs.
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: