Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The first time you met your SO...describe it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first time you met your SO...describe it!

I'm super interested to read about everyone's first meeting with their SO. I'm sure you all have some great stories and, in writing about it, will probably make yourself feel happy to re-live the moment in a way... I'll start with mine...

Flying from California to Illinois, I had enlisted the help of a friend in giving me a ride to the airport. My flight was leaving at 6:10am, so I wanted to be there around 4:30am to leave enough time to get through security. I had my friend stay the night at my place since I was planning on leaving with him around 3-30am (takes about an hour to get to the airport from where I live). I didn't sleep at all that night. I had way too much on my mind. I laid in bed with the lights off, my eyes closed, but I didn't sleep. When 3am rolled around, I jumped out of bed, wide awake, told my friend (who didn't sleep either) "Alright, lets go!" It's at this point that he informs me that he is not the one who's actually going to drive, and that another one of my friends will be driving. He was still going to come with me, but he wouldn't be driving. This meant we had to go to my other friend's house (10-15 minutes), wait for him to wake up (another 15+ minutes), warm up the car (5 minutes), drive SLOWLY to the freeway and ON the freeway...stop halfway there to get gas and something to eat (15 minutes), etc... This was pissing me off a little, and made me even more nervous than I already was because now I was starting to think I would miss my flight.

We didn't get there until around 5:25am or so...almost an hour later than I wanted to arrive and boarding time was at 5:30am. Either way, we'd made it. As I stepped out of the car, I was shaking and I couldn't control it. I was so nervous, not only because I was flying to meet my SO, but because I'd never flown by myself before, and the fear that I could miss the flight didn't help... I said goodbye, thanked my friend and walked, fast, into the terminal. As I took an escalator up to security, I came face to face with a security line that extended VERY far. Now I was really scared of missing my flight... Thankfully as I stood in line, a TSA person was walking down the line and announced that the time to get through security would only be 10-15 minutes, even for the people way at the back. This was slightly reassuring...

I made it through security quickly, as was promised earlier, and headed down the terminal to my gate. No lines there of course...everyone had boarded long before I got there... As I got on the plane, I had another moment of fear, 'what if my carry-on didn't fit in the compartment?' When I bought it, I bought it because it was the most spacious bag i could find. It makes use of every quarter-inch allowed on the plane, lol. I hoisted it up to a compartment, and...i couldn't get it in! I felt so dumb and immediately thought to myself about how all the veteran flyers are watching me and probably thinking "Oh great...it's one of THOSE guys..." lol. I tried to play this off smoothly though and didn't try to force it. I went a couple rows down and found a compartment that wasn't totally full and my bag fit there just fine...whew!

Very soon, the plane took off on a 4 hour flight that would seem like a life time... I had a middle seat, and the window on my row was badly placed so, I never saw anything during the flight which, made me kind of sad because I wanted to look out on the streets and highways and just imagine that my SO will be driving on one of them to pick me up soon...

Finally, I arrived. When I turned my phone back on, I had a few text messages from her letting me know that she was in traffic and will be late. She assured me that she can't wait to see me and to explore the airport while I wait. I texted her back to let her know I'd arrived safely and that I was really nervous, hehe. Since she was going to be late, I took my time walking through the airport, just thinking to myself about how I couldn't believe I was really there and that this whole thing was really happening. I was there!!! I went to the bathroom and just stared at myself, hoping I looked okay...

After walking around a little more, I made my way to baggage claim since I figured she should be arriving soon... My whole plan for our meeting was to be walking toward each other in the terminal so, I made sure to walk slow in anticipation of her phone call. Unfortunately, I arrived at baggage claim and when she did call, she called to tell me that traffic was pretty much stopped and it was going to be a little while longer. With more time to kill, I called my friends and some family to let them all know I arrived safely, but mostly I just sat in baggage claim thinking to myself...anticipating the one phone call from her that would be the one where she tells me "I'm here!" She called me a few more times while I waited, and every time my phone vibrated, it made my heart start to pound, wondering if she had arrived yet...

Finally, she called me to let me know she was at baggage claim, and my heart started to pound. So, as we're on the phone, I'm of course looking for someone with a phone held to their ear. I saw one person with a phone, her back turned to me, but she was too short and didn't look like my SO... I asked her "Where are you?" and she told me that she'd gone into the bathroom real quick, which was DIRECTLY TO MY LEFT! I couldn't believe that I'd somehow missed seeing her go into there, and I can't tell you enough how hard my heart started to pound, knowing she was in there, just mere steps away, and that she'd be coming out soon. I'd always envisioned seeing her first, before she saw me, and now, that scenario was out the window...we'd be seeing each other at the same time...

I quickly walked away from the bathroom some... I didn't want to just be standing there when she came out. Finally she told me "Alright, I'm coming out." I turned around and slowly walked toward the bathroom, holding my breath, and then, I saw her... I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe that this was actually happening... I knew she would be beautiful, I knew she would be stunning but, she absolutely blew away my expectations... She was wearing a loose, wavy, light brown dress...heels to match, some gold bracelets around her wrist... I absolutely couldn't believe how amazing she was. I felt so unworthy to even be in her presence, she was so much more than I imagined. And to think, she was telling me just nights before that as long as I imagined a walrus, we'd have nothing to worry about, lol! I knew she was just being a typical girl when telling me that though, not feeling confident in her appearance no matter how good looking she is... I knew what she looked like, so I knew I was attracted to her and I knew what to expect and that I wouldn't be disappointed.

She was so nervous that she took me, quickly, into an elevator, and when the doors closed, we finally embraced.

We spent an amazing week together touring all around, her hand in mine the entire time... It was truly a dream come true, and, like most dreams, it came to end much too soon... But, we are committed, and while we don't have a date set for the next meeting, hopefully, it won't be too long.

The rest is history! Thank you for reading
    First met online: October 15th, 2011
    First met in-person: July 13th, 2012

Next meeting: September 21st, 2012

Thanks for sharing, this is so heart-warming I'm sure seeing her for the very 1st time is a feeling which you'll never forget. As I was reading your story it reminded me of how nervous, anxious, and excited I was feeling when I met my SO for the very 1st time.

There were many obstacles that happened before finally meeting my SO. We had planned to mee sooner than we did but him being in the military things happen unexpectedly and changes plans last minute. Our originally meet was early May but was pushed back till August. It was sad enough to miss our 1st chance of meeting. So in early June I decide to fly out to where he's stationed at to meet him. We were both very excited at this point, but 1 week before my departure date he told me he isn't able to leave base, which means even if I were thing he won't get to see me. At this point I was just feeling like "WTF"! I wasn't mad at him because I know it isn't his fault. I'm more upset about how fate is just giving us the runarounds. So after days of trying to figure out a solution we decided that if I were to drive 3.5 hours to where he's stationed at he will make sure he'll be albe to see me. I figured I was already flying 3+ hours to meet him, might as well make the trip worth it.

After 3+hours of flying and putting up with flights being delayed (stupid United) I was finally picking up my car at the arrival airport. I was super excited at this point!! I wasn't going to get to his city by 0100 and he isn't free till around 0200, so I thought I can shower and then drive onto base. Boy, was I wrong! But the end of the drive I was dead beat.... All I wanted to do was sleep after my shower. So I texted my SO I wasn't going to his base until tomorrow. He texted me back right away and told me he was on his way to my hotel.

When he finally arrived, I was half asleep in my pjs.. And I didn't care.. I was super tired! Hahaha opening the door with eyes half closed I still was able to see how handsome and tall he is. He came in and just finally being in his arms was the best feeling ever. We just stood there holding onto each other, -finally- after months of anticipation and waiting we are in each others embrace.

Though we didn't get to spend too much time together, total of 6-7 hours in 2.5 days. But it was still an amazing time. Just knowing I am minutes away from him is enough for me. I'm looking forward to our 2nd meet this weekend I can't wait to be in his arms again and feel the warmth of his body and the touch of his hands. <3

Comment

I love reading things like this, awesome thread idea

The first time I met my SO was a bit awkward, to say the least. My best friend Sally was dating his best friend Luke. They were pretty casual, but I'd met him a few times and he seemed like a lovely guy. One night, I was a bit intoxicated and both my Luke and Sally were around. I kept saying to Luke "Heeey, you have any cute friends for me?".. cringe.. but anyway, I went home to bed drunk and that was that.

The next week, Luke and Sally and I were at the park, sunbathing, and Luke text his flatmate Kirk to come down and say hello. I knew they were trying to set me up, so before I even set eyes on him I already felt awkward due to the situation. Anywho, Kirk came down, we said a few words and I immediately had the biggest crush on him. He was shy, but lovely and funny and definitely my type.

After he left, Luke said he'd give Kirk my number. My phone was flat, and I was out for a few hours after with Sally just chilling. When I went home to charge my phone, there was a text from Kirk asking me for a drink the next night. I was ecstatic.. after that date the following night, it was on!

And here we are now. Albeit an awkward introduction, it couldn't have turned out any better.

Comment

I remember it all, yet it kinda feels like a massive blur because it was all just so weird.

Well I didn't sleep at all that night, and left for the airport around 6am to catch my 9 hour flight to Atlanta.
        I kind of zoned out the whole day because I would have worried too much, but on the flight I kind of come to terms with what I was doing and got really nervous.
        In Atlanta, I kind of just went straight to my connection flight and checked in, sat about and boarded the short flight to St. Louis.

With the plane ready to land I really did start to worry so much. I was most worried that she wouldn't like me, and it would be awkward. So I tried my best just to hang in there and just be strong.

I went to pick up my bag at baggage claim, got my bag...... and well that was it.
        I was at St. Louis, all on my own, about to stay with a girl who ide never met before. Easily the most nervous ive ever been.
        I went to sit down near the exit and carpark to wait for her to call me, clutching my bottle of water to help me.
        I remember my phone rang and I was nervous to answer; Anyway she said she had arrived and was walking about looking for 'my' exit.
        After about 15 mins of wondering she said she could see the gate number I was at. With that I jumped up and was looking through the crowd trying to spot her.

I actually noticed her brother in the distance, so I hung up on her, and walked straight for them.
        When she got within range, her bro stood still while she started a crazy fast paced walk to me, I kinda froze and tried to pin point my emotions to what I was actually feeling.
        And finally she came straight up and hugged me, squeezing me sooo tight and went straight in for a kiss. I was so nervous and it felt so strange to have this girl ive been talking to for so long physically hugging me. I saw her bro pull out a camera and get a picture of us, at which point i knew we felt the as strongly towards each other as we did online.

I was so tired sitting in the back of the car going back to her home, and she lay'd down across the back seat on me. Just staring at me saying how happy she was. She also wouldn't stop kissing me haha.
        And I guess that's it. things just got better and stronger for the 2 weeks I was there.

I'm planning on going back soon, and I'm looking forward to another airport meeting more than pretty much anything.

Comment

The first time I met my SO was online. We were in a chat room just looking for conversation. He was super flirty and I was shy. We met up in person a few days later and I was really quiet and he was still flirty. He stalled his car for the first time in years driving us around :P So he must have been nervous.
          Our Story
          Met on www.chat-avenue.com on December 27, 2010
          Met in person on Decemeber 29, 2010
          Long distance from Jan 2011-March 2013
          Lived an hour away from each other March 2013-June 2013
          Living together June 2013 -August 2013!
          Long distance from Sept 2013 - unknown

Living happily in a monagmish relationship since December 29, 2010

Comment

These stories are awesome! I love the details. I can't imagine the nerves of meeting someone in real life that you've only known online - it's so brave! I met my boyfriend in person first. I'm a little embarrassed to share this story, because it's so specific that if anybody I know read it they would definitely know it was me! But I love the story.

I was traveling alone in Egypt on a very last-minute, lucky trip. My parents were not thrilled that I wanted to go to Egypt, but it had been my lifelong dream to go there and when I had the opportunity, I had to take it. My mom had some Facebook friends (a connection through her job, but people she had never met and had hardly talked to) who lived in Cairo, and she wrote to several of them and asked if any of them would meet up with me. Several of them sent me Facebook messages and offered to meet me and gave me their phone numbers. One in particular mentioned that he'd be interested in going to the Egyptian Museum with me.

I had a crazy, stressful morning when I'd been there a couple days - in Egypt, if you're white, everybody stares at you. All the time. And I was at the point where it was getting really old. I'd borrowed a cell phone and had spent way too much time trying to get it to work, but it wouldn't. I paid a hefty chunk of change to get in the museum, and then walking around I realized that I wasn't really enjoying it and I felt lonely. I borrowed a security guard's cell phone and called the guy who said he could go to the museum with me. He answered and I asked if he still wanted to go to the museum. He said he would be there in an about an hour!

So I walked around the museum for the next hour and then went and sat outside. I had NO idea who I was looking for, and no cell phone to contact him. I sat outside for about twenty minutes when finally a guy walked up to me and said my name! We walked around the museum together, chatting, looking at the artifacts, and joking around a bit. After the museum we went and got something to eat at a restaurant that was definitely only for locals and would have been difficult or impossible for me to navigate on my own. We decided to spend the evening hanging out - on a party boat on the Nile, walking around in the suburbs, and even lying in the grass in a park discussing deep issues. I finally went back to the place I was staying around midnight - I took a taxi and he called me three times on the hour-long ride (Cairo is huge) to make sure that I was safe. All in all we spent about ten hours together, and by the end of the evening I had such a crush on him. It seemed he knew how to do everything - he was so confident and fun, asked me questions about myself, and surprised me with how open-minded and curious he was about my answers. And my heart fluttered when he held my hand crossing the busy streets full of insane Cairo traffic. Oh, and did I mention he was cute?

Comment

I met my SO at a salsa club. It was my friend's last night in the country so we went to our favorite place to dance to celebrate. But, I wasn't really feeling it. Guys kept asking me to dance and I kept saying "no". Finally I told myself "I'll say yes to the next guy to ask me no matter how old or how ugly." Well the next guy was a sexy, young guy- my SO. We danced, he was (and still is) much better than I (me?). He asked me for my number, I didn't have one (back in the day it would take about a year to get a cell phone number in Costa Rica, so I never even tried to get one) so I gave him my email. Later, I was sitting next to my friend, and he came up and started sucking on my neck. AWKWARD. Anyways, the next day I had an email from him asking me out.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                Later, I was sitting next to my friend, and he came up and started sucking on my neck. AWKWARD.
                Hahaha what? How did that happen?
                I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I was getting really anxious about moving to the UK for the summer. So I started joining all sites that when you googled "Friends in the UK" would offer and hilariously enough that included POF. I was on POF for about two weeks when he sent me a PM. I read his PM and thought it was pretty funny and eventually he gave me his BMM.

Unfortunately, I actually forgot about him and POF and all the other sites and went on my merry way. One day though I remembered that the "funny guy" had given me his BBM and it wouldn't hurt to know ONE person while in the UK so I added him and we started talking. At first we would just talk randomly, then we started sending voice notes to amuse ourselves while we were up late, then we played the question games... and then some time in between all that I started to like him. Eventually our conversations moved to being voice chat, then a skype convo here and then we talked on the phone almost every night.

Then one day we talked and decided that we weren't interested in talking to anyone else and we wanted to just talk to one another...
                  Last edited by digitalfever; July 31, 2012, 01:22 PM.

Comment

My childhood best friend introduced us and sent me off with him for a day while I was on vacation visiting her. It felt a little awkward at first because it was her ex (long story, read the long version in the LDR stories thread ) and I was supposed to hate him, but I was pretty attracted to him right away. Kept thinking, god he's cute, why do I have to hate him? Why does he have to be her ex? And fell in love with him anyway

Comment

I met my SO at a summer music camp (insert American Pie joke here) at my college. It was his last year as a camper and he ran with the "bad crowd" at the camp, the ones who were always talking, giving attitude, not paying attention to curfew, etc. It was my first summer as a junior counselor and I took my job very seriously, so I really, really disliked that group and everyone in it, SO included. I thought he was a total jerk! The next summer, I was a counselor and he had moved up to junior counselor. I remembered him from the previous summer and kept my distance as a result, still completely convinced he was a jerk and I wanted no part of that. The summer after that, we were both full counselors and were helping to get the buildings set up for camp, which started the next day. We ended up in the same small group and he kept laughing at my sarcastic comments, which lead to us starting to talk and really start to get to know each other, and something clicked. We ended up becoming inseparable super quickly, always waiting for the other one, sitting next to each other at meals and meetings since we'd save the spot for each other, and were cuddled up at 3 in the morning in the dorm lobby after everyone else had gone to bed. My head was on his shoulder, I moved it a bit to get more comfortable, he moved at the same time... then we were making out on the couch before I really knew what was happening. We had a summer romance the whole week of camp, then parted ways... but stayed in touch and became good friends. We didn't get to talk much due to school and the distance, but every time we hung out in person, the chemistry was still there. It took us AWHILE to end up where we are now, and we still don't really know how the hell we got here, but I'm so glad we finally did! As is everyone in our lives who saw it coming from a mile away before we ever could, lol.

Comment

I met my SO online on a dorky little kids game called Toontown when I played with my little cousin. We met through a mutual friend on the game. I liked him right away because he was funny. So I sent him a friend request and he declined (he still hasn't lived that down ). I said something like "Fine then" and went to go leave the area and then he added me. We played the game together all the time even though we eventually got bored with it we would both get on just to chat. He always made me laugh and that's the main reason I fell in love with him. We then added each other on facebook and communicated through there. After being best friends for like four months he told me that he really liked me and we started "dating". We would communicate over the phone and through skype. Two years later around the same time we met in person for the first time. Our first meeting was kind of strange though. My mom and his brother were there. Everyone was shaking hands and I went to go shake his hand (yeah I know I'm weird but I felt awkward hugging him or kissing him in front of my mother because he was my first boyfriend and I was super sheltered and I was also nervous) and he Pulled me in for a hug. It was cute but somewhat awkward. LOL. Anyways if you want to read about the rest of our first meeting in person you can go here.

"I love you and I've loved you all along and I miss you. Been far away for far too long."<3

Comment

Ahh this thread makes me so excited!
                          Okay, here I go.

Our original plan was that he was going to visit the week after my vacation. I was going to fly home on Sunday and he was going to fly in Monday and I would pick him up after my dance team practice. Well, he bought his tickets, and we had not yet. My parents noticed that it was cheaper to fly in on Monday so they picked a flight that landed nearly TWENTY MINUTES before his did! Which was super exciting because I would be able to see him walk off the plane rather than wait at baggage claim!

So the night before we were both texting each other, neither of us were able to sleep at all. And we both woke up around the same time, even though there was a three hour time difference. We were so excited and said good bye once we were at our terminals because, again, we were both boarding our planes at the exact same time!

My flight made a stop, while his was direct. So I downloaded an app on my phone to track both of our flights. Well, his plane took off on time, while my plane was delayed at my stop. Just what I expected. I wanted to wait at HIS gate...not the other way around.
                          While on the plane, I finished my book 20 minutes before the plane even landed. I was so antsy, I couldn't sit still. Finally the plane landed, and I whipped out my phone and checked the status of our flights...his was just arriving. I would barely make it to his gate on time. I didn't have time to stop and fix my make up or see how I looked. I had to hope for the best!

My family and I always sit in the back row, so I had to wait SO LONG to get off that damn plane! I finally rushed off of the plane and my parents said they would meet me at baggage claim. I had to walk to the complete other side of the terminal!! I was walking so fast I was almost jogging! Luckily, the airport wasn't all that crowded, so it was just a straight shot. As soon as I got to his gate, the doors were opening.

My heart was racing. I felt like I was about to puke up my stomach.

He texted me saying there were a lot of people in front of him. I watched every single person walk off of that plane, and none of them were him yet.

I wanted to stand close to the door, but I didn't want to be in people's way. So I stood far back, just waiting. And waiting. It felt like HOURS were going by.
                          Finally, I saw him walk off the plane. His smile was huge, and I knew I was smiling like an idiot! He opened up his arms to give me a hug and I didn't care anymore. I RAN into his arms! Oh my gosh, it was perfect. So many people were staring xD He grabbed my hand and we walked out of the way and I seriously could not believe it. I was shaking! Ah. So exciting. If I were to relive any moment in my life, it would be those few minutes.

Comment

I met my SO online, but the first time I met him in person...he had taken the bus down to Texas. The night before, I got several things for him to surprise him with (it was a week before his birthday). I waited outside because he was supposed to arrive in town by 8pm, but instead, he got into town around 10pm. I remember him being the only person to walk off the bus (I lived in a small suburb of Dallas) and he had a huge black coat on and said to me, "Are you still nervous?" and I ran up to him and gave him a hug and said "Yes." and neither one of us wanted to let go, but my grandma was waiting in the car for us and we didn't want to leave her waiting.

She took us back to the house and my mom made a pizza for him like I had asked her to (my grandma kind of ruined the surprise by talking about it in the car, "Well, Austin, if you're hungry, her mom's making a pizza for you."). However, she didn't ruin the surprise of the Snickers ice cream cake. We all sat in the living room and watched Storage Wars, while my SO got acquainted with my grandma and mom. Afterwards, we went into my room, he dropped his stuff off and I was being really shy and nervous and then he said "I want a kiss." so I gave him a peck and he said, "No. I want a real kiss." When I think about that moment, I get butterflies all over again.
                            candi ❤ austin
                            ღ5.11.2011ღ
                            ❤ First Meeting [Texas] 2.17.2012 - 2.23.2012 ❤
                            ❤ Second Visit [Wisconsin] 4.23.2012 - 4.30.2012 ❤
                            ❤ Got Engaged 5.11.2012 ❤
                            ❤ Closed The Distance June 24th, 2012 ❤
                            [/CENTER]

Comment

Lets see...the first time I met my SO, it was here in Arizona, we were texting each other constantly before and after he on and off the plane, the first visit my ride to the airport flaked out so he had to take a cab to the hotel we were meeting at, I remember it being super hot out and the sun was so bright it was reflecting off the concrete as we were trying to find each other (there were two lobbies so we had both been in the wrong place) then I remember spotting him across the street, he looked so different compared to how the webcam made him look so I was nervous I had the wrong guy! He led us back to the hotel room all the while I was fretting with myself thinking I was tailing this random stranger until I saw the tattoos on his wrists. xD

I barely stepped into the hotel room when he pulled me into the tightest bear hug ever and the door slammed shut behind me and we just stood there for like 10 minutes almost in complete darkness cuz we didn't even look for a light switch, we were too busy clinging to each other for dear life like the whole thing was a dream and he'd disappear in a flash. After that we pulled away somewhat sheepishly and said hi and then we were so tired from not sleeping for days due to nervousness we climbed into bed cuddled a bit and passed out in each others arms.

Notes:
                              Met: 8.17.09
                              Started Dating: 8.20.09
                              First Met: 10.2.10
                              Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Working...
                              X