Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The first time you met your SO...describe it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again that ended up much longer than I intended! I just wanted to add how much I've enjoyed reading all the other replies in this thread. I can't imagine how nervous all of you who didn't meet for real for so long must have been the first time! It's so cute how close you all seem given how far apart you actually are and gives me lots of hope in the future for me and Mike.

Comment

Great, heartwarming thread.

I'm Canadian & I met my boyfriend while I was on exchange in London, England. The day we met we were having the typical 'where are you from, do you like it here' etc questions. After I told him where I was from, Toronto, he replied "I'm actually going on a road trip around Canada & the USA with my friend this summer & our flights are in & out of Toronto." I asked him what day he would be arriving & it was 10 days after I got home from exchange. Without hesitating I said, "Oh, I'll be in Toronto then, you can sleep in my basement." I think he thought I was insane but I could tell he was a nice guy.

I liked him from the moment I met him but nothing happened that day. I saw him a few times after that & about 3 weeks after our initial meeting he messaged me on Facebook. I was busy with my semester finishing + people visiting so we messaged every day for about 3 weeks. So, 6 weeks after we met, we finally had our first date & now we've been together for a year & a half. & we still message every day.

& yes, he did sleep in my basement. & when he came to visit at Christmas he slept in my basement again.

(Aha, this post was so cheesy but I regret nothing!!!)

Comment

I told my SO I loved her in Feb of 2010 and we finally met in person in May of the same year. I flew down to Atlanta from Ottawa and let me tell you I was a nervous wreck but I was also crazy excited. I had seen her 1000 times on skype and pics but finally meeting her felt so different. The fear of will she like what she sees? or will it be completely different in person. I'm sure all of you have had the same thoughts and fears. hehe Anyway, I walked off the escalator of the airport and didn't see her at first but when I did, my heart nearly exploded. I practically ran to her, dropped my laptop and wrapped myself around her. It was amazing. We were both a little shy at first but after a few mins we were just US. As we walked out of the aiport I grabbed her hand and it felt so normal. We didn't kiss until we got to her place, I think we were both just in lala land that this was actually happening. As I was unpacking my stuff I handed her a little gift and she looked at me and said: "I'm gonna kiss you now" and she did. *swoons* Nearly died again. I still get butterflies when I'm about to see her or when she kisses me. What I feeling!

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
        Married April 18th, 2015!!
        Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

I met him through a mutual friend who moved from England to Canada. When we first began dating - we both agreed it would work because of the fact that him and his family already planned a trip to stay at the friends house in January of 2009 (that's down the street from mine) to go skiing. I begged my friend to let me come over, I know it's not the most polite thing to do but, it was important, I was meeting my SO for the very first time!
          I got a text from him since I told him that he had to tell me when he landed and when he was on his way, just so I could prepare myself.
          As the van pulled into the driveway, my heart stopped - this is it! (that's all I could think) - my mind was clouded. Nothing else mattered except seeing him.
          The door opened: his sister walked in, his mother walked in (heart starts beating again), his father walked in (heart stops again), - he's next - HE walks in. I was probably all sweaty due to nervousness but that didn't matter, I ran up and hugged him. I didn't realise how tall he was so I jumped. I couldn't look at him in the eye because I didn't believe it was real, it was a new feeling. There were butterflies and happiness and all the best emotions coming together and just made me feel numb, it's a feeling I could never forget, so many butterflies.
          We couldn't help but start the night off with the first of many first kisses, although I was still so overwhelmed that my mouth was literally dryer than a desert, I can't exaggerate more than that.
          I will never ever forget that day, I'm sure many can understand, I still wear the bracelet he gave to me on that day.

He is still my everything three years later and always will be, nothing will change that. x

Comment

I loved reading every story!

My boyfriend and I met on Tumblr and after chatting and exchanging emails we decided to meet.
            I went to Portland last September.

When the plane landed at PDX, I started shaking. I couldn't stop because I was so nervous!
            I was telling a friend how nervous and anxious I was because I knew he was outside waiting for me.
            I saw a restroom and went inside.
            I practically hid in the restroom for 15 minutes to calm down. No such luck as I kept shaking.

Finally I decided to leave my "safe" place to meet him. I texted him saying I was lost, which I really was.
            I kept walking trying to find the exit until I saw it, so I decided to wait outside.
            A few minutes later he texts saying he was inside, so there I was, still shaking an about to see him for the first time.

I went inside the airport again and looked To my right and there he was, waiting for me with flowers and chocolate.
            I hugged him and I could tell he was also nervous because he didn't say a word. He would only talk when I asked him something.

We left the airport to go to his apartment, I took a shower and when I went to his living room we hugged and kissed.
            It was the sweetest kiss I've ever experienced.

I'm going back in 20 days to Portland and I'm so excited to see him!

Comment

I met my SO on June 2nd 2012.
              I'd been rushing around trying to get to the theater on time to meet my friend. I was about 15 minutes late when I got there. I ran to the table I could see her sitting at and threw myself into a chair and yelled at her 'I'm so sorry the tube was delayed!', then before anyone could say anything this hand shot across the table and there was this voice that said "James. Hi." and I looked up and there he was and... I think I just knew.
              We ended up having seats together in the auditorium, then we had a few drinks in the Theater Bar afterwards.
              His hotel was not fat from my house! But we missed the last tube, and ended up having to get night busses home from East London to North London. It was chucking it down with rain, and it was freezing cold!
              But we just talked the whole way home, about nothing. Just finding stuff out about each other, general chit chat.
              He tells me now that he just wanted to put his arms round me! Haha, thinking back on it now, we were both so blatantly into each other, but neither of us realised.

I can't believe that this was only less than 5 months ago...!
              First met by chance in London 2nd June 2012
              Started LDR 24th July 2012
              James' 1st trip to visit Klaire September 29th-October 31st 2012
              James' 2nd trip to visit Klaire November 17th-November 19th 2012
              Klaires' first trip to visit James November 19th 2012-January 13th 2013

Comment

I was perving on her butt

(No joke)

But it was a lovely time. She was so shy and quiet, it was adorable.

Comment

I have met my bf online in a video game.
                  At that time he had a gf, we were playing together along with some friends online.
                  Eventually we had forums and a 'Real Life Picture thread'
                  I saw his pic and I was like, damn he's cute, too bad he's taken.

Things stayed like this for a while.
                  The gf eventually dumped him and we started to talk.
                  I wanted to cheer him up because seeing him sad somehow did hurt me.
                  I didn't know him that well at that time, but I felt I had to be there for him.

We talked more and more, from the game we then took it to msn.
                  Then from msn, we exchanged phone numbers.
                  And then he told me eventually: 'I hope this doesn't scare you away... but I think I'm rly fallin for you.'
                  My reaction wasn't too good at 1st, I said that 'love online' didn't exist. In fact, I was overacting and scared because I already had feelings for him... and refused to acknowledge them.
                  So he replied: 'Fine, I'll come and see you (He's in TX and me in Canada) and then I'll show you I'm for real and my feelings are real!'
                  I replied: 'Sure, you do that!'

A few months later, he had his tickets, he could get 1 week off at his work.
                  I went to pick him up at the airport here in Montreal.
                  I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nervous..... it was crazy.
                  I waited maybe only 1 hour for his plane to arrive, but it seemed like years...
                  I finally saw him, he was so cute and confused, as a good host I would normally went ahead in front of him and greet him yes? But I didn't.
                  I wanted to look at him a lil longer.... So I did and started to walk slowly behind him and then gentle poked him goin 'hey~'
                  He turned around and smiled and I think I totally changed color, was so red...
                  The shuttle that was goin downtown was about to leave and the next one was like in 45min, so I was like 'let's take this one quick and let's go home!'

We were both very shy and quiet on our way home.
                  It was very cold and the poor love had no coat for our canadian winter :P
                  So I had a coat for him, a scarf, a hat and mitts.
                  We got home, sat next to each others, watched movies and slowly...
                  Started to get closer to each other and cuddle ^_^;
                  We talked and talked until we were too sleepy to talk anymore.
                  And slept next to each other.
                  ♡ ~~~~ 'When you find something worth fighting for, you never give up' ~~~~ ♡

Comment

I met my significant other on Facebook, through an indirect introduction from a mutual acquaintance back in September 2009. We hit it off very well and decided to start dating a few weeks later. We didn't really make plans to meet each other, which presented a challenge on more than one occasion and we ended up being off and on for a bit. But last spring, things got really serious and we finally started making plans to meet in person. I went and saw him in Memphis for a week near the end of August 2011. I didn't know this until the end of my trip, but before I even decided to make plans to visit him, he had already gotten a plane ticket to visit me at school for my birthday, which is September 10th.

Anyway, our first meet in person was amazing. We had known each other for almost 2 years and had learned pretty much everything about each other, but that didn't change the fact that we were both still nervous. I got on a Greyhound bus to go see him because that was the cheapest option and while it was a long ride from Chicago to Memphis, I didn't mind it because I really wanted to see him. We texted back and forth on my way there and even more when I was really close. We let each other know what we were wearing so that it would be easy to find each other when I got to the station. He's like 6'2, so it wasn't hard to find him. Lol I went up to him and we hugged, then he took my bags. His mom and dad were waiting in the car and we got in the backseat. I think we were still in disbelief that we were finally together because for first few minutes we were in the car we were texting instead of talking. Eventually we got comfortable and I remember having my hand in the middle of seat palm up and him putting his hand inside. We held hands for the rest of the ride to his house.

When we got to the house we sat down on the couch for a few minutes. He turned on the tv before decided we should watch Tangled. He made me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. As the movie started, he put his hand under my chin so I could face him because he had been waiting years to do this and he kissed me. I don't think my heart has ever beat faster. That Saturday started the best week of my life as I spent time getting to know him and his family better. We've been together three other times since then. We're hoping to see each other for New Year's and Valentine's Day.

Comment

i am gonna keep this somewhat shorter and just tell you about the very first time i laid eyes on her....it was just over a week ago...and i was waiting in the airport with a red and white rose for her...tied together with red and white ribbons...and i waited for what seemed like forever...watching so many people file out...and finally...i see her round the corner...and she sees me...and that incredible beautiful smile comes to her face...i can tell she is nervous...so i start to walk slowly towards her...and she comes through the glass doors...and comes towards me...and i wrap my arms around her...and feel her shaking...and i whisper in her ear..."it's ok sweetheart, i love you"...and the shaking slowly subsided...and then we started to let the hug go...and i kissed her for the very first time....everything i had hoped it would be...i love her even more now...which i wasn't sure would be possible...but so totally is

Comment

The first time him and I met was amazing. It was the 29th of May of 2011. The JOURNEY there, is another story lol. Since my dad works for an airline he has flying benefits of traveling standby and not paying a full fare, which is awesome. So we book everything and I depart from Puerto Rico to New York which is my first connection of FOUR. All was going great until I arrived in London, Heathrow. I had a ZED Fare from Heathrow to Frankfurt but no one had told me I had to actually check in at the ticketing counter. I had to go and get that done while the lady told me basically that the flight was full and I wasn't going to make it. I didn't. I waited until the second one which only had one last available seat and I jumped right into it. Two hours later I'm at the Frankfurt airport crying my eyes out cause the last available flight to head to Bergen, Norway was completely full and the agent was telling me the next flight in the morning was looking full as well. It was over 24 hrs that I had last slept or ate.

The stress was so much that I couldn't down anything, not even water. I had bought some call cards in London but it turns out they ONLY worked in London! My phone didn't work and the payphones in Frankfurt worked only with credit cards. I called him and told him what had happened through tears. He told me to call him in an hr. While I waited I laid down on a bench and cried myself to sleep. After I woke in an hr, I called him and wrote down a Hotel name and followed the instructions he gave me. He had paid me a night at a nearby hotel so I could rest and be safe ♥ After getting in the hotel and freshening up, I bought some new call cards and called my parents letting them know I was okay and called him to calm down. When it was time to go back to the airport I had a massive headache due to stress and not eating. I bought myself something and sat down to impatiently wait for the 9am flight. It was at the moment, 7am.

While I waited I heard someone speak Spanish and it turns out he was going to be in the same flight as me (I was hopeful I'd make it) So we strike up a conversation and talking to him eased my tension and my headache. I couldn't have been more happier when I saw the agent put on a gate bag tag on my carry on and let me board!! We arrived to Flesland, Bergen at around midday. I freshened up before walking out. I was so nervous but happy that I had finally made it! I walked out the doors looking at the floor and just when I lift my eyes, he is standing in front of me with the biggest smile ever. We hugged, we kissed and walked out the airport both with silly smiles on our faces.♥ ♥ ♥

It didn't feel weird or anything! It actually felt like we had known each other for a long time. We were so comfortable around one another. His family is just amazing and welcoming. I love them all so much. His friends are awesome and would all include me in their plans. There was a time were I would feel a bit left out but it was only when they would talk in Norwegian, which I obviously don't know. We are working on that though! Little by little he is teaching me the pronounciation and phrases Can't wait to go again.
                        Last edited by Sukkerklumpen; November 26, 2012, 09:15 PM.
                        ”Distance means so little when someone means so much.”

Comment

That's a very sweet story, thanks for sharing

Seems that quite a few people (myself included) had airplane troubles when visiting for the first time!
                          I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I'd only been at university a few weeks, and thought I'd go along to archaeology society's first social, which happened to be at the pub (surprise surprise!). I got rather drunk, and heard my now SO talking about Germany, which is where he comes from. As I'm half Dutch, I started a debate about which country is better... and was basically being very drunk and obnoxious. :P Next time I met him, sober, I realised he was a really nice guy and was rather embarassed... but he didn't seem to mind!

Comment

The first time we met.

The first time that my other half and I met, was on a blind date. Set up by a friend of a friend, we'd never met or even spoken before. We just got handed each others numbers an hour or so before the date. I was really nervous waiting outside the shop that was chosen for us too meet outside of, I text him asking him where he was, he replied explaining he was in the shop next door, I didn't have a clue what he looked like but decided to venture in anyway. I went in and looked around, there was too many people in the shop for me too even consider asking people if they were him.

So I proceeded out of the shop and called him and asked him too come outside, I was so nervous, I'd never spoken too him but I knew a lot about him from my friend. Next thing I knew this amazingly handsome, tall man walks out of the shop. I doubted it was him, so i kept looking and waited for my other half too come out. This handsome guy continues too walk towards me but I shrug it off and continue waiting when he wraps his arms around me and whispers hello, making my neck tingle. I inhaled and I didn't want to let him go :P

We then went on to go for a walk and sit and chat, we spoke a lot, I found out he was a sailor! I also found out we had some things in common but I didn't feel much towards him except maybe friendship. We then went for dinner that's when we started talking a little more in depth. I then found out we had a lot more in common, I also noticed how beautiful his eyes were and it was from then i was in trouble. for the rest of the date we just sat there, holding each others hands staring at each other, we didn't say anything until we had to part ways. At the end of the date we agreed too meet for the second date the next day.

He comes and goes, it's hard but it was so worth the heartbreak and loneliness to see him, to love him and too be his.

Comment

Well for us, my friend randomly decided he wanted to go to Thailand, I had never thought about it, it was never one of those places I though oh yea I want to go there on day! But I said yea sod it, so we booked it, all classy, 5 star hotels, private transfers, the whole lot, except for one week we were to spend with a friend who lives out there.

So off we went, Bangkok for 3 days, VERY busy, so many trips we had to get done before 3 days were up, my 4th day in Thailand, and bare in mind we were there for a month, We went to a place called "Ban Chang" where my mate lives out there, went to his apartment and dropped off my suitcase then straight out to the bars to look around, no everyone knows the reputation of bars in Thailand, I hadn't let any bar girl etc "take care" of me or anything like this at all while in Thailand, we went to 3 bars and I saw her in the third, just working service drinks (nothing more), my friend knew her, so he introduced me, it was sweet, because she went to put the music on, something she's done a thousand times, but she was fumbling and just couldn't, for some reason she was nervous and shy around me, my friend told me he had never seen her like that before, she was always so confident and outgoing! He introduced us, she was still shy, but we hit it off.

I stayed in the same bar all day and night that first day talking to her, my friend went back to the apartment to see his girlfriend and my other friend who came to Thailand with me (he stayed at the apartment as he was tired) and left me there alone talking with her late into the night, when her shift ended we went out to other bars for drinks, enjoying, socialising with other people etc, was great, we went back to hers and I stayed with her the night, and every night after that for the month, I skipped the 5 star hotels I had booked to stay with her, we went on trips to the city, zoo, aquarium, temples, sites and ruins together, we went for food and drinks together, or even bought DVD's and munchies, stayed in some nights, practically lived together!

It was amazing and I don't regret any of it, everyday and night we talked about anything, everything, opened up to her like I haven't done in a long time, we got to know each other more and more and just fell for her, I remember now the first time I saw her behind the bar, I remember what she was wearing, she was so beautiful, it was so sweet how she was shy, I'm pretty sure I fell for her right then.

That's it

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
                                2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
                                3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
                                4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
                                5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
                                6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
                                7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
                                Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
                                UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X