Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The first time you met your SO...describe it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time I met my SO was when I was going to pick him up at the airport in Helsinki. Now, I live in northern Osthrobothnia, which is on the west coast of Finland. In other words, 5 hours with train :P His flight wasn't going to land before sometime around 1 pm or so, but my train left just after 6 am, and even if I then worked on a farm and had to get up at 4:30 every morning I was terrified to sleep too long which resulted in barely any sleep at all...
    I didn't oversleep though, but the 15-20 minutes it took to drive to the tran station couldn't have been longer! Once there I tried to recall the last time I had been there (which was when I went to Germany) and tried to occupy my mind with something else than it was only around 7 hours until I would finally meet him!
    A couple hours south I had to change train and after some trouble with which seat was mine I got really nervous and excited. Down to Seinäjoki (don't try and pronounce it, for your own sake :P ) I had been able to concentrate on Great expectations but now I couldn't think of anything but getting to the airport. I'm far from a city girl, and once in Helsinki I wouldn't have found the right bus if not a very happy backpacker had helped me.
    Once on the bus everything felt really surreal, I went through how I had imagined us to meet, how we'd hug and kiss... Luckily I had seen him on Skype before so I knew exactly what he looked like, so there was no risk of me not spotting him, but I was still really nervous I would be late or anything, even if I took the earlier bus than I had intended to.
    Finally at the airport I saw that the flight was early, but I still had about 20 minutes. I think I went to the bathroom and back around 10 times during that time, not so much because I had to go as to have something to do... Never had cleaner hands
    When the boards finally announced that the plane had landed and people started walking through the doors I got up. I stood a bit on the side of the door, so my SO didn't see me right away, and when he got out I couldn't help myself running up to him and hug him. Before I even thought about it I was kissing him He smelled so good! People were just walking by us and all the sudden I realized he was so nervous he was shaking, and even though it wasn't as I had imagined it it will always be one of the best days of my life
    We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

We have been friends for 8 years now and have had a very on again off again "relationship." (I feel like relationship really is the wrong word, but I'm not sure what else to use there) We always joked about meeting up over the years, and once he even flew to Vegas to see me while I was on vacation there. That didn't work out at all and we both ended up with some really hurt feelings from that. Our friendship took a giant hit and we didn't even talk for over a year because of it. I ended up married to someone else, and when that relationship became incredibly toxic and heading towards divorcetown, I was put into a situation where I really needed a good friend who would listen. I emailed him out of the blue one day, and that was sort of the start again. He was my rock for most of my divorce, and quickly became my best friend like old times.

At the time, he had just moved temporarily to Nova Scotia, and this past August he decided he was ready to go back home to Edmonton. He was toying around with the idea of us meeting, even if just for coffee while he was traveling back home. I wouldn't be available until October due to time off from work. At this point he had plans of riding his motorcycle back home, and I was pretty convinced only a crazy person would attempt this in October with making his travels that much longer by going through the states just for coffee, but I agreed.

Coffee quickly turned into 5 days in Chicago, and it turned out that the weekend we both could make this work was also my birthday weekend. So on October 1st, he started his journey. We were actually scheduled to meet on October 4th, and he had very little contact with me while he was on the road. It was a very long three days. On October 4th I drove the 3 hours north to meet at a Caribou coffee for the first time. I was ridiculously nervous. I worked half a day before I left to keep my mind off of it but that didn't work at all. I got nothing accomplished and made an even bigger mess of things for me to come back to. I didn't really care. I remember it being the longest drive of my life, and of course, I arrived before he did. I sat in my car, trying to remind myself to breathe when I saw him pull in. It probably took me a good 5 minutes to get the courage to get out of my car and at this point he couldn't see me at all. I walked up behind him, and right as I reached him he turned around and all I remember is this huge smile taking over his face and him whispering "hi." Everything after that is pretty much history. We had an amazing five days together.

Turns out I was right though and only crazy people ride their bikes that far in bad weather in October. He went through some really crazy weather on the way to Chicago and hit even worse weather on his way home (he ended up really sick from dealing with the cold), but I'm sure if you were to ask him if he'd do it again he would say yes.

Comment

Amazing stories.....love them! The first time my SO and I met was so beautiful and romantic! I will never forget. He few into PDX (Portland, OR) on July 2nd, 2012. I was sure to be there an hour before he was to arrive and I was only somewhat nervous but VERY anxious! I needed this man in my arms badly! I was filled with a lot of emotions as was he! When he landed he phoned me immediately telling me..."Baby, I have arrived, I will be to you very soon love"...OMG at that point my heart was pounding uncontrollably and I was very anxious...I started pacing the waiting area and it was full of families, etc waiting also...a few moments later he called again asking, "baby where are you, what are you wearing"? I told him I was right at the waiting area as he exits the gate area and I was wearing a very bright pink shirt, he couldn't miss me, but guess what, he did, lol. He then said he was almost at the baggage claim so I told him to stay down there and I will come to him, he said ok, hurry baby and we hung up. I started for the baggage claim very fast as I was very anxious! As I started down the escalator, my hands started to tremble, I knew then I was just steps away from my soul mate! I reached the bottom and exited the escalator and started for the baggage claim where I then seen him standing awaiting his luggage. OMG the biggest smile on my face and my heart began to pound uncontrollable again. As I came behind him where he was standing I poked his sides with my fingers and said "guess who babe", he turned around slowly and had the most gorgeous smile EVER....we stood there my hands in his and just stared into each others eyes for a few seconds and e said to me..."my god baby you are more beautiful than I imagined, baby your an angel"....my heart melted!!! He then grabbed me hugging me and rubbing my back when he again looked into my eyes and said..."I am so in love with you beautiful" and then we embraced into a very passionate kiss right there in the center of baggage, LOL...we didn't care, we were lost in love!!!! We stood there in each others arms for at least 15-20 minutes!!! We finally said, "oh luggage"....lol we then walked to my car put his luggage in the trunk, kissed and then got into the car and we embraced into a passionate kissing session fr ummmmmm 15 minutes!!!! And well the rest.......for my eyes only!!!! LoL we are still going strong and very much in love!!!! We are soul mates FOREVER <3

Comment

I met her through a childhood friend who happened to be living in a house with her at uni. At the time I was in a relatioship, but after that ended we started getting closer until I drove down one weekend and it happened

Comment

First time I met my SO. I was just getting out of the hospital.. I had complications with my heart failure. He took a plane to see me, from Texas to Florida. The hospital discharged me late... so my dad had to pick him up from the airport. lol. So my official first time meeting him was at the hospital. I poked my head out of the room, and he was coming down the hall. I'm pretty sure I was still in my hospital gown :/ It was crazy! And I was overwhelmed.. and super nervous. All I remember was I felt like he kept staring at me when he got into the room. I got dressed a few minutes later. Drove back to my apartment. And I still remember the first time I kissed him... I got big time butterflies!

Comment

The first time I met my SO was very uneventful. We worked together at a boy scout camp, and I started a little late in the season. I worked in the kitchen and on one of my first days, my SO was in the kitchen for a few minutes(he worked in Outdoor Skills). I asked him if he knew where the trash bags were and he gave me the answer and then we exchanged names. That was our first conversation! So uneventful, but he has always said that he knew he liked me from that moment.

Comment

Literally it was nervousness and excitement coming down from my home near Birmingham to Heathrow for the over one hour drive that my parents made when they dropped me off. I really couldn't sleep on the flight that much at all from just being so happy to finally be getting on that plane. The worst part was waiting in line at Border Patrol, simply because it took freaking forever because of the lack of officers on the booths. It was over an hour after I'd landed at Phoenix (and when I'd called my SO from the plane) and I finally got to the big glass doors and a face in the distance peering around and through the giant rotating door. Her face lit up, I came through and was almost tackled by my SO. We were giggly and happy and it was just so wonderful... We were holding hands and hanging off each other all the way through the airport. We just couldn't believe that the other was real.

Comment

Wow ha I don't even remember actually "meeting" Michael, he was just always there and I always knew him... I mean since we were kids. We grew up in the same hometown. We started dating the summer after my 8th grade year.. Now we live 2,000 miles apart but that doesn't matter, he's always been there, and he always will be there. That's all I need

Comment

the first time i saw her...was when she came here to visit for the first time...and while i eagerly waited for her to come in off the plane...when i finally did...and i saw that smile on her face...and the feelings that welled up inside of me...and our first hug and kiss...i knew i wanted that forever...she is the one i have waited for...for my entire life...noone makes me feel the way she does...

Comment

I love this threat I teared up a bit reading this stories, Here is mine:

I met my SO on facebook. I am a huge fan of this ban called The magic numbers and one day I got a random message from a guy saying that he saw me in every site of the band and he thought I was the number one fan. We haven't stop talking ever since.

So after about 8 months of intense chatting, video calls and all we could think of, I had accepted a job in a cruise ship through europe and we decide to meet in person.

I was gonna board the ship in barcelona spain, I traveled there from peru and gave him all my hotel info so he could find me. He traveled to barcelona from england and came to meet me at my hotel. I was so so nervous and shaking like a leaf, when i got a call from reception saying i had a visitor. I came down and it took me a minute or two to get out of the elevator. I walk towards the lobby and i saw him My insides were screaming, he was just as cute as i saw in his pictures and videos and incredibly tall!

we walked towards each other and hugged and then kiss >.<
                      We were both shaking and I could tell he was really nervous too. It was so right and I was glad to have waited all that time to meet him.

Comment

I met my SO in person and we got along really well immediately, but since he was still in a serious relationship at the time, nothing happened between us and I was quite surprised when I started receiving emails from him and found out that his relationship is coming to an end. So there I was, falling in love with a guy half a world away, sitting in front of the computer and wondering what it would be like to hold and kiss him...

So even though we didn't meet online, I still feel like the story of me crossing the Atlantic ocean to kiss for the first time and see if this becomes a real relationship is somewhat similar to meeting him for the first time.

At first I thought I needed some excuse to travel to the US, since the situation was rather complicated - he stepped out of a long relationship just after he had met me, which was at the point of my travels only two months ago. I was really afraid that even if he seems really into me, he would feel to strange to start something new so fast... My best friend was going to go to his city anyway, just as a tourist, so I decided to join her and in case things went wrong, I could still spend the two weeks hanging out with her and exploring the city.

But in the weeks of waiting for the day to come and talking to him A LOT (hours and hours of skype), I was completely sure things will not go wrong at all and I was right! When 20.11.2011 finally came, I was nervous, but at the same time completely calm - I was sure this was going to be the beginning of a new period in my life, I just have to survive the start of it We arrived to the airport hours too early and since it was a small airport, it was still closed when we arrived. The flight was looong and my heart was pounding like crazy the whole time! When we finally arrived it all went really fast - there was no line at the customs and our bags arrived quickly so I ended up surprising him, he wasn't even paying attention to the arrivals door yet I tapped him on the shoulder and he turned around, he looked calm and happy to see me (and was convinced that I was calm as well, in fact we were both nervous as hell I had seen him before, but somehow his face seemed different this time, I was so happy to be there and convinced this will be a long and happy relationship at once! We kissed once we arrived home and my friend was not around, but in the following two weeks we weren't always so considerate to her and would smooch a bit when she was taking photos or going in shops and most of the time she had to spend on her own anyway - it was too tempting to just stay at home, to be honest

Comment

The first time I met my boyfriend was this March!

I flew to America for the very first time (it was also my very first big trip on my own) and my last flight was an hour delayed because it started to snow in Toronto. His family (his mom, her husband, his sister and her husband) and him were patiently waiting for me and I was nervous and scared, but when I saw him I jumped up and down waving to him so he'd see me! When he saw me his face lit up and he smiled
                          I walked towards him, we hugged and I kept clinging onto him because I was scared of kissing him (being told that I am a bad kisser I didn't want to disappoint him) but he looked at me and then we kissed.. it was such a sweet kiss!!
                          He then turned to me and said: I knew it wouldn't be awkward.
                          And it wasn't!!

I've spent 11 amazing days with him and his family and by the end of those 11 days his whole family told me that now I am part of the family too!!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                          First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                          Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                          Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                          Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                          Married: 1/24/2015
                          Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

The very first day I met my SO, he had flown in for our friend's wedding. We picked him up with the rest of the family and friends. He was super shy and adorable when he introduced himself. We all packed into the car and went to a restaurant. When we got there we had to wait because my SO had run down the road to take a picture of the "BJs" sign at the end of the block.

We went in and held the door for me, making a joke while he did it. I sat next to him to let the family members sit closer together. We were at a Chinese food restaurant and he wasn't familiar with some of the food, so I helped him through the buffet. We cautiously talked a little and then went back for ice cream. He hadn't had any of the flavours so he got one scoop of each and put it on a plate. Afterwards he started swirling the colours together and making jokes about being just like Picasso :P

I had the parents in the car with me when we drove them home from the city, and I got us terribly lost. When we all arrived in Amherst I got heavily teased and with good reason. We decided that it would be awesome if we all slept over at the couple's house and had a few drinks, so we went to my place to get an overnight bag. When we did, my SO got something out of his bag and gave it to me. It was two hardcover graphic novels from my favourite comic series. He had picked them up because I wasn't able to go to the comic convention he had been at the week before, even though I had planned on it. I was so surprised I gave him a giant hug. We all went back and stayed up for a couple hours drinking, then went inside to go to sleep. I refused to sleep on the air matress and gave it to him and slept on the floor next to him. Even then I wondered what it would be like if "by mistake" I rolled over and put my arm around him...

That was 20/09/2012 and I will never forget that day.

Comment

I'll never forget the first day we met, <3

I woke up with excitement, constantly checking my phone for updates on his flight while getting ready (makeup, hair, clothing AAHH). I don't think I actually felt nervous until my parents and I drove up to the airport and we got to the place where we picked him up. We got there 40 minutes early and that's when it ALL sunk in. After two years I was about to meet the love of my life, the man I made a commitment to for the past two years. We fought for that moment and it was finally happening!

My mouth was bone dry, my stomach was turning and I was between crying and puking (I never do well with stress HAHA). My poor mother tried keeping me sane during the wait LOL When I finally saw him I really had to restrain myself from running past security to get to him. The mili second he passed those gates I practically attacked him with a huge hug (I think I scared him :P) haha.

The entire car ride was a tad awkward. When we got back I made him something to eat (so much nervousness omg). After my parents went outside and we went into my room to rest. We were laying on my bed and all of a sudden he kissed me. This HUGE smile came across his face (i'm sure I did too) and every just felt right...the nerves went away. I'll never forget that big smile he made. <3
                              Made it official: 12-01-10
                              First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
                              Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

My man.

Well we haven't met in person yet but I love him so much and can't wait to finally hold my baby. I love hearing all these wonderful stories and it helps me think of how I want to greet my guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X