Why don't you want to marry your SO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bethyylovee View Post
    My point is this: Can you say for fact that you will not become a murderer?
    I never said I could, so No, that has nothing to do with marriage. I am not married to myself I am one and the same person. That has nothing to do with the decision to divorce a person or not. I do not choose to be me, I am me. When you marry you choose to marry someone depending upon who that person presents to you and you fall if in love with. If that person never existed or ceases to exist then you choose to stay with the person or not. In my case I choose to leave that person for my safety and the safety of my child.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Well I certainly can say that I won't become a murderer, and can say the same for my partner. I'm not sure how this progressed here, but here we are. I maintain my position, as will all of you. Again, it would be a dull world if we all thought the same.

Comment

@Hollandia Why can't you say with certainty that you won't become a murderer...?

OP: Being able to discern with certainty that YOU won't become a murderer is completely different than weighing if someone else will. Really bad analogy...
        It's a good thing that you have so much trust and faith in your partner though.

Comment

Originally posted by princessmaria View Post
          @Hollandia Why can't you say with certainty that you won't become a murderer...?

OP: Being able to discern with certainty that YOU won't become a murderer is completely different than weighing if someone else will. Really bad analogy...
          It's a good thing that you have so much trust and faith in your partner though.
          I personally don't see it as any different. I can say the same for my family, and I consider Stephen family.

Comment

I can't say with certainty that i won't become a murderer because i don't know if maybe I'll have mental problems in the future or accidenly run someone over with my car

Comment

I think this hypothetical murderer conversation should definitely continue.

Comment

Originally posted by bethyylovee View Post
                I personally don't see it as any different. I can say the same for my family, and I consider Stephen family.
                I think it is nice how you have so much trust in your partner to him not ever changing and doing anything bad but it does happen sometimes. (Not saying it will) I think it is natural for anyone to believe there family would never become a murderer but in reality it does happen.

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
                  I can't say with certainty that i won't become a murderer because i don't know if maybe I'll have mental problems in the future or accidenly run someone over with my car
                  If I ran someone over with my car on an accident I would not consider myself a murderer, I would consider it a horrible accident with consequences but to me a murderer is someone with intent to kill. The difference is whether for justice, revenge, or just because you can.

To kill for justice, say killing a child molester who has been raping little kids in the neighborhood and the police are not doing anything. To me then you are not a murderer. (just an example)

To kill for revenge, say your boyfriend was brutally killed by some person with the intent to kill just because they like too. Then you hunt them down and kill them, again to me that does not make you a murderer but it does not mean it is right.

To kill with intent, if you are just killing anyone without any reason..without any justice. You just enjoy killing and you love the power it gives you. Then you are a murderer.

Also if you kill to protect yourself or anyone for example does not make you a murderer to myself either. x)

That's my take on it. ^-^
                  Last edited by oxytocinbite; October 17, 2013, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oxytocinbite View Post

To kill for justice, say killing a child molester who has been raping little kids in the neighborhood and the police are not doing anything. To me then you are not a murderer. (just an example)

To kill for revenge, say your boyfriend was brutally killed by some person with the intent to kill just because they like too. Then you hunt them down and kill them, again to me that does not make you a murderer but it does not mean it is right.

To kill with intent, if you are just killing anyone without any reason..without any justice. You just enjoy killing and you love the power it gives you. Then you are a murderer.

That's my take on it. ^-^
                    I think anyone that dies due to a person that intends to kill them is a murderer. If I hunt down someone cause they did something wrong still makes you a murderer. I'm sorry, but I don't really understand your logic, respectfully could you go into more detail about how you think otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
                      But that's kind of a different situation. OP was trying to use that analogy to describe a dramatic shift in someone's moral compass, not their mental stability. I would say that if you have it in you to murder someone in cold blood then it was something that pre-existed, meaning it was not so much a dramatic shift in your morality whether the people around you saw it coming or not. A person's moral compass rarely changes that dramatically except under extenuating circumstances. Morality is generally seen as a predominately sociological issue, so if someone simply is a murderer and they live in, for example, the US, it may be safe to say that they do suffer some kind of underlying psychological problem (whether it be as small as having a bad temper). Accidentally running over someone with your car isn't considered murder. You should really be able to say with certainty that you won't become a murderer...

But this is really off topic. bad analogy, like I said lol.

Comment

Dexter killed for revenge/justice, many, many times. Is he not a murderer? (btw, not a serious question lol)

Anyway, in my opinion, I don't think you can ever be certain of anything. All you can do is hope/pray for the best in life. Anything else, I would think, is setting oneself up for disappointment.
                        Last edited by Zapookie; October 17, 2013, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapookie View Post
                          Anyway, in my opinion, I don't think you can ever be certain of anything. All you can do is hope/pray for the best in life. Anything else, I would think, is setting oneself up for disappointment.
                          This. Seriously, this.
                          My heart belongs to a pilot!
                          ~*~
                          ~*~
                          [/center]

Comment

hehe the murderer topic is really interesting but

ot: my boyfriend and I always joke about being married-- could just be a "honeymoon stage" thing, but it seems like he always brings up 'loving me long time' or 'stuck with me for the rest of his life' hahaha. It's still soooo early in our relationship though, so I hardly have thoughts on what marriage means to me and my relationship. However, I do think the importance of marriage varies from couple to couple-- for my parents, marriage helped them stay together, and for my elderly neighbors, they're not married but love each other so much. So it's up to the couple to decide what's right for them, I think.

Comment

Well I guess the whole revenge thing is murder and a lot of what I said I went a little overboard there..was not entirely thinking.

Okay what I mean is, I don't think that killing someome makes you a murderer under the right circumstances.

when a cop shoots a person because they have to, would we call them murderers? I think there is a grey side to what is considered murder.

Comment

Interesting how marriage has turned into murder through a divorce :P
                                I think a person could through physical and psychological torture be turned into a murderer.
                                And also if the surrounding circumstances and environment changed dramatically into say law of the jungle.

Mindsets can be changed. On a more lighter scale (than murder) the media can change the way people think and see things.
                                Propaganda.

I think (even in the most horrible environment) there are people who would much quicker "flip" and even murder than others.

Comment

Working...
                                X